Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Hopi Style Turquoise/White Shell Earrings

Hopi style earrings
Photo by Venaya Yazzie 2014

I just adore these earrings!

The earrings I have posted were originated and made directly from a Hopi artisan. I am sharing these earrings today because I would like to share the story of how journeyed across the desert to find me.

One day as I was browsing the hand-crafted items made by Navajo and some Pueblo vendors at the Shiprock Community open market I stopped at a booth with a small elder man sitting behind a small table.

He had a sweet face and he had a plain, white cotton fabric draped over the table with a variety of turquoise earrings upon it. Magical!

What was so wonderful to find was that he did not make the earrings to completely match. I ended up picking the two pictured to make a pair.
When I made the purchase transaction he smiled and called me his 'grand-daughter.' 

Happiness.













No comments:

Post a Comment