Sunday, March 23, 2014

Painting Adornment: Turquoise

Detail of art by Venaya Yazzie.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2014
As a painter, it seems i am always thinking about adornment.

The images I paint re-create a mural of my childhood experience. I have been blessed, for I grew up amidst the beauty of adornment via my grandmothers and aunties.

As a young girl I watched as the women in my life wore turquoise and silver on their person. They wore turquoise and not beadwork, for that type of jewelry adornment is more a Plains Indian style of jewelry.

The memories of Dine' women and turquoise is my historical memory, the narrative of brown desert-women's dialogue is my power. In this world of chaos and boundaries, their words assist me in navigating through the life of a Navajo/Hopi woman artist.















No comments:

Post a Comment