Saturday, May 16, 2015

Handmade beadwork and shell adornments.

Original handmade beadwork with shell made by
Venaya Yazzie via Yazzgrl Art Studio, New Mexico.
Photo courtesy of Venaya Yazzie
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2015


My love of creating Indigenous beadwork has been inspired by the lives of both family and friends through the years.

My first recollections of the art and act of beading was as a young girl seeing my aunt beading her unique seed bead earrings. Then later as a college student, I would watch my best friend, who was a powwow dancer, beading her own powwow regalia for her Jingle Dress outfit. I would later learn to bead from a Souix friend and from taking an Indigenous Arts course while a student at the Institute of American Indian Arts in Santa Fe, NM.

Now I bead for the enjoyment of the creative process and technique. I bead for mental and spiritual 'balance.' Lately, I've been beading mostly earrings with added adornments such as shell pieces, turquoise, and various other stones. The earrings pictured here are my latest addition and original style.

Blessings.


No comments:

Post a Comment