Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Each item has a song, a prayer

Navajo made sterling silver stamped earrings
Photo by Venaya Yazzie
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2015

These are part of my earring collection and they are vintage earrings. I acquired these earrings from an elder Navajo woman who expressed to me that she could no longer wear 'dangle' earrings, so she wanted to sell them to someone who would appreciate them. I feel I was blessed to have purchased these from her, and now the story of these wonderful Navajo made earrings continues.

Make no mistake that every cultural jewelry item has a story, remember this next time you buy Navajo or Pueblo jewelry items. Each item has a song, a prayer that was sung or said when it was made. Indigenous cultural jewelry and associated items have a 'life' of their own it is said.




No comments:

Post a Comment