Thursday, September 24, 2015

Yazzgrl Art: Venaya Yazzie

Mixed media art by VenayaYazzie, Dine'/ Hopi artist.
Photo courtesy of Venaya Yazzie
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2015
When I was a young girl my days were spent 'creating.' I was an adopted child of my maternal grandparents and they spoiled me, so I was able to have any art supplies I asked for. I think my grandmother just knew I was on that path of an artist, so she never questioned why I wanted art supplies and not dolls or toys. My rich and unique childhood shaped who I would become as an adult, but also who and what I wanted to say as an Indigenous women artist.

Today I am so very grateful for my art abilities, for my art tells volumes of my story, but also as a contemporary Indigenous artist. Behind the 2-D imagery and jewelry I create is an even bigger story of my People's Indigenous history which always concerns: trauma, healing, survival, struggle, cultural history, oral history, language...

I am an artist today to help in a humble way to 'bless the People' and inspire the Indigenous youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment