Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Navajo elder men singing

Navajo elder men singing.
Photo credit: Venaya J. Yazzie 2015
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

This time of year is amazing because of the land's physical change and the People's transition to the coming winter via songs, stories and ceremony.


While spending time at among the People in Shiprock, NM I found the experience  somewhat melancholy,  as I missed the presence of my maternal grandfather among the many Navajo elders at the Navajo Song and Dance arena. My 'papa' passed on from this life two years ago, his name was Alfred Padilla Yazzie, he was of the Waters Flow Together clan and was raised in the area of Chaco Canyon, NM on the eastern region of the Navajo Nation. He was a good Navajo singer and as a young man sang with his brothers and father during in the Navajo Yeibichei ceremonial life.

In the months before he left, my papa told many stories of his life.
Though this photo is not him, the man in the blue shirt reminded my of him, handsome and beautyful.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment