Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Earrings from Northern California

Earrings made by a Hoopa Indian man
Photo by Venaya Yazzie 2014
When I was a student at 20 years old at the Institute of American Indian and Alaska Native Arts I was befriended by a lovely, strong Indigenous man form the Hoopa Indian Reservation. Ralph M. was from northern California and be became my friend and spiritual adviser.

When I needed a break from the chaos of campus life I would find Ralph and sit and talk with him. Today when I think if my late friend I smile because I honestly believe Creator God sent him into my life to help me find my way and survive via the spiritual. He was a gift to me.

One of my favorite things to do with him was to just sit and bead and make cultural jewelry. Being from northern California he had a great selection of materials including a variety of shells, wooden beads, heishe beads and a great assortment of glass trade beads. The earrings posted are made of glass trade beads, heishe and small clam shell adornments.

This pair of earrings I have posted is a gift from him. I cherish these earrings, for they carry a beautiful story of friendship. The spirit my friend gave me with the earrings is a blessing.

In memory of Ralph Miguelena

No comments:

Post a Comment